5 Ways to Save on Heating & Cooling Costs
Your Antelope Valley cooling and heating system can account for up to 50% of your home’s energy costs, and American homes pay an average of $2000 per year on utility bills. Try these helpful hints to lower escalating HVAC expenses:
- Invest in energy-efficient window blinds or shades. During summer, close blinds and shades to keep radiant heat out. While they are not cheap to purchase, insulated window coverings are a wise investment that makes a notable impact on your energy bill. During winter, open the blinds on the sunny side of your home and take advantage of free, natural heating.
- Weather-strip windows and doors. Leaks around windows and doors allow hot air to drift indoors during summer and warm air to escape during winter. Caulk around windows and doors or use weather stripping to block gaps at thresholds and frames. If you are unsure whether you have leaky doors and windows, ask a qualified HVAC contractor to perform an energy audit that points out areas of concern.
- Don’t play thermostat wars. Continually raising and lowering the thermostat to individual comfort levels makes your system work harder. Instead, install a programmable thermostat and set it to adjust automatically when you are home, away, or sleeping. When you use your thermostat correctly, you can save 5 to 15% per year on heating and cooling.
- Keep HVAC components and ductwork clean. Just like your car, your heating and cooling system needs regular upkeep to perform well. Dirty HVAC equipment is inefficient. Keep your outdoor unit cleared from twigs, debris, and weeds. For pennies a day, you can also invest in an annual maintenance agreement that includes a full tune-up, cleaning, and inspection of your HVAC system. Maintenance is very affordable and is the best way to extend the life of heat pumps, high-velocity AC systems, and furnaces.
- Change air filters frequently. Clogged filters slow down your system’s efficiency and increase energy consumption. HVAC air filters are an inexpensive way to keep you more comfortable, save money month-to-month, and prevent early failure of heating and AC equipment.
Schedule Your Energy Savings Consultation Today
DS Heating & Air technicians are NATE-, NCI-, and EPA-certified to keep your home’s heating and cooling system running at peak efficiency, year round. Annual maintenance agreements are not a gimmick. They are a proven way to extend the life of HVAC components and maintain an ideal climate in your home. To learn more about energy efficiency or to purchase a DS Energy Savings Agreement, call 661.310.3747 or inquire online today!