My Heat Is Gone, Now What?
Use These Tips to Preserve Heat Before Your Technician Arrives
There’s nothing fun about losing your heat. While you can’t always prevent your heater from shutting down, you can do some damage control before your technician arrives.
Rather than search the web for HVAC companies in Lancaster, CA, focus on preserving your home’s heat instead. Our technicians at DS Heating & Air will be there in no time to fully restore your comfort.
The Heat Preservation Checklist
Ready, set, go! Right after you contact us for heating repair, step into preservation mode and hold on to your heat. Here are some things you can do while our team is on the way:
- Block any drafts. When the heat is off, it’s easy to feel where cold drafts are coming from. Seal any drafts on your doors or windows with duct tape to keep the warm air in and the cold air out.
- Close all the curtains. You might not realize it, but curtains can provide a significant amount of insulation. Allow just a tiny bit of sunlight to shine into your home to keep it warm. Close the curtains where there’s no sunlight to prevent additional heat loss.
- Shut those doors! Don’t let an ounce of heat go to waste! Shut all doors to any rooms you’re not using to conserve every last bit of heat.
- Layer up. If you start to feel chilly, throw on an extra sweater for warmth. It takes only a second to do and can help you stay more comfortable in the meantime.
- Get cooking. Feeling hungry? Whip up some food and use your oven or stove as a makeshift heat source.
- Get moving. What better way to stay warm than by staying healthy, too? While you wait for your technician, use your home’s exercise equipment or take a quick lap around the block.
- Protect your pipes. Temperatures don’t typically drop below freezing in our area, but there’s always the possibility. If it’s especially cold out, open all cupboards along pipelines to prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Turn on the lights. A little light can go a long way! Turn on the lights in the rooms you’re using as an additional heat source.
Prevent Future Breakdowns With Routine Maintenance
OK, so you weren’t lucky this time. Your system gave in to all the stress and turned its back on you. Or did it?
The truth is that you are in the driver’s seat. You get to decide how much (or how little) you maintain your heater. Unfortunately, many homeowners choose the latter option and end up with a broken heater at the worst possible moment. But if they had maintained their heater with a trusted HVAC professional, they could have spared their heater (and their wallet) from paying the price.
Annual maintenance tuneups have been proven to:
- Improve the safety of your home comfort equipment
- Identify minor issues before they become major repairs
- Lower your energy bills
- Prolong the life of your heater
- …And much more!
DS Heating & Air helps homeowners maximize their comfort with Energy Savings Agreements. We’ve designed a range of options to help you choose an agreement that suits your budget, comfort needs and more.
Stay Warm This Winter With DS Heating & Air
There are some things in life you can’t control—but your home comfort isn’t one of them. While you wait for your heat pump or furnace repair in Acton, CA, Lancaster, CA, or elsewhere in the Antelope Valley, conserve your heat to stay nice and warm.
To schedule your furnace repair with our experienced professionals, contact us online or call DS Heating & Air at 661.310.3747 today.