Upkeep Tips Every Homeowner Should Know
Keep Your Home in Top Condition All Year Round
It’s true what they say: “Home is where the heart is.” The question is: Are you giving your home enough heart?
A little TLC can go a long way to prevent heating repair in Lancaster, CA, and other problems in the home. As Halloween is upon us, here are some things you can do to spruce up your home and get ahead of the game. More importantly, you’ll lay the foundation for a comfortable, carefree home that you can warm up to this winter.
Tend to the Most Important Tasks
Anticipation is one of the best skills a homeowner can have. When you think about the season ahead, you can prepare your home accordingly and conquer the elements.
Here are just some things you can do to prepare for the chillier months:
- Maintain your heater. The more you care for your heater, the more you’ll get out of it. Whether you own a furnace or a heat pump, annual maintenance is the best way to keep your system running as efficiently as possible—for as long as possible. Offering professional heating maintenance programs, DS Heating & Air can help you get the most out of your heater year after year. Our licensed technicians will thoroughly inspect your system to help lower your energy bills, improve your home safety and comfort, help prevent expensive repair work and more.
- Flush your hot water heater to remove sediment buildup. Your water heater will be working harder during the cooler months. Sediment buildup can easily cause your system to work inefficiently and even malfunction. To prevent a problem with your water heater, flush the unit to remove excess buildup.
- Inspect your home for leaks. Leaks will make your home colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. Check your home’s doors and windows for any gaps, and then caulk and seal where necessary.
- Check the chimney. Your chimney should be a luxury, not a headache. Before the cold sets in, have your chimney inspected by a trained professional.
- Clear the gutters. Debris that’s blocking your gutters can cause precipitation to build up. This can eventually lead to a damaged roof or water leaks. Clean your gutters of leaves and other debris to protect your roof and get the water flowing freely.
Other To-Dos for Your Home
Now that the most important things are out of the way, here are other things you can do throughout the year:
- Change the HVAC filters every month.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors each season and replace the batteries if necessary.
- If you own a water softener, check it and add salt as needed.
- Test the water heater pressure relief valve twice per year.
- Clean your porch/patio before the start of every season.
- Clean showerheads to remove mineral deposits and improve water pressure.
- Vacuum lint from the dryer vent.
Leave the Rest to DS
You wouldn’t leave your car with anyone but a mechanic. And you wouldn’t trust anyone but a doctor to perform surgery. Well, the same logic applies to your HVAC equipment.
The professionals at DS have spent years installing, maintaining and improving heating and cooling equipment. As you’re preparing your home for a smooth winter season, call us if you ever have a problem with your heater. Our trained technicians know how to optimize your equipment and help you prevent future heating repair in Palmdale, CA, Lancaster, CA, or wherever you call home.
To schedule service for your home, call DS Heating & Air at 661.310.3747 or contact us online today.